Field Course Pack List
Will involve about 6-7 miles of hiking, running, orienteering, swimming, climbing, biking and learning wilderness survival medicine along the way each day.
A front guide and a sweeper will be present. Some measure of physical fitness will be necessary to participate.
There will be lectures Fri pm and Sat am outdoors all day Sun.
Suggested apparel; …one to wear, one for spare:
•Two pair tights or climbing/ hiking pants
•Two pair non cotton socks
•Trail run/climb/hike ,mud, swim-shoes
• Baseball hat
•2 Under Armour or non cotton shirts
• Bring a complete change of clothes and towel for car.
• May consider a wet suit, but not necessary if taking a summer course.
• Bike helmet
This will usually be a Muddy course with several river crossings. There are briars and rocks. We will be covered in mud and soaking wet above are suggestions to keep you comfortable. Wool socks preferred. Sneakers are ok is they drain well so your feet don’t weigh 10 lbs each.
• Deet spray
• Duct tape
• Cotton balls smeared in vasoline
• Matches wooden
• Lighter, flint fire starter
• Sam splint or flexible splint
• Backpack for clothes change and supplies
• Ziplock bags assorted sizes cellphone, keys..
• Large size garbage bags for clothes change to stay dry
• 6 foot dog leash or similar for strapping, towing bike
• Leatherman, or alien multitool or swiss army knife like tool.
• Camelback or water carrier
• 3 powerbars
• Snack food, drinks, brown bag lunches outdoor day 1&2
• Very improtant to have a Compass
• Watch with stopwatch
• Waist belt nylon or fabric (will get wet)
Parents/wives/husbands/children may also come but will be counted as participants and will be able to fully perform course activities. Regarding younger students: If parents are not comfortable with their child doing these often high risk activities, they may choose to watch those portions.
Regarding participants: they may be interested in the sports side, the racing side or the medical side, and earning CME credits, or be interested in forestry , ecology, survival skills, advancing their paramedic training, nursing skills , out of the hospital medical work, or general interest.
We are blessed to have sponsorship this year from (as always) Montgomery General Hospital, Zanfel, Hammergel and Lifestar and are waiting on several more final declarations. (There will be goody bags!
If you need a group of guides/coaches/outdoor life teachers certified and would have at least 10 participants, contact me and I will attempt to set up a private class if the timing won't fit your needs.